Google offering discounts to celebrate Play store’s birthday
Google’s app and media marketplace is celebrating its first birthday – and the tech giant is offering several deals to mark the occasion.
And, they’ve released some numbers that hint at how successful their Android mobile ecosystem has become.
Google Play is the company’s equivalent to Apple’s popular App Store – both offer apps (obviously), magazines, movies, books, TV shows, etc.
I’ll get to the types of discounts in a moment, but first: just how popular is Android?
Very popular, the numbers suggest.
There are more than 700,000 apps in the Google Play store, collectively leading to 25 billion app downloads.
Google says more than 500 million Android devices have been activated around the world, and 1.3 million are activated each day.
The birthday was March 6, but that isn’t stopping Google from offering you some deals in the Google Play marketplace.
For example, Google is offering 99 cent movie rentals and 50 per cent off certain magazine subscriptions.
With more exciting Android devices coming down the pipe – such as the Samsung Galaxy S4 – it’s likely that these numbers will only go up as Android gets in the hands of more people.
Do you have – or want – an Android phone? What do you think of it and the apps?
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+
- Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3: affordable performance
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge goes upscale
- Google Nexus Player: Like Chromecast, but bigger – is it better?
- Review: The size is right with HTC’s Nexus 9
- Review: Moto 360 smartwatch looks good, but segment still growing
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Review: Sturdy Android phone packs punch
- Motorola Moto G LTE : a high-value Android phone
- Toshiba Chromebook or Asus Chromebox – which is better?
- Samsung Galaxy NotePro 12.2 Review: Big screen tablet that doesn’t come cheap